Friday, October 16, 2009

I need therapy

I wasn't going to blog today. I have lots to get done. But I have just gone through the most horrifying experience and I  need to debrief.

So I decide to most innocently vacuum out the fireplace. It has been overlooked since we have moved into our 100 year old house and is full of old cobwebs ( or maybe its spiderwebs, are they the same?)




Here's the fireplace after the fact. Still a little dusty looking.




See this thing? It is above, blocking the chimney opening. Its all vacuumed out now. But before it was full of "dirt".  I have my nice big shop vac and begin vacuuming out the dirt between the crevices. Only the dirt isn't dirt. Its dozens and dozens of birdie skeletons and all their birdie stuff. Seriously, if you had been walking by my house you would have heard me scream above the very loud shop vac, more than once. Only it didn't end at just a few. Little by little horrifying things fell to the floor. The horror went on for about 10 minutes as I wriggled the loose brick and let the scary stuff fall out. Little birdie skulls and legs and wings. Why, oh why, I asked my self, hadn't someone else thought to clean this out over the two years they had been working on the house?!!

Then, on top of it all, I looked behind me to find the nasty black dirt blowing out the other hole of the vacuum all over my living room!! Fortunately I don't have much furniture in there yet.




And here is the scary trap door at the bottom of the fireplace. I don't like scary trap doors that lead down dark dirty places that who knows what else is living in there.

I've claimed to be adventurous, but never brave. I'm a wimp around dead things and am still a little shakey over the experience. It will take me awhile to get the vision of the birdie skull stuck in the crevice tool that I had to bang free out of my head and I refuse to be the one to clean out the vacuum.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Cheryl!! That is truly horrifying. I think I would have to tile over the trap door after that experience. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're blogs are incredible! The things that happen to you......Do you remember the time at my trailer you were looking for toys one of the kids had lost, and you reached behind the bed that was against the wall, and pulled out a mouse skeleton? I think that was a blood curdling scream, too.
    Who is Mindee? she sounds like a real nice girl, (or lady). I like reading her comments. Does she get mine, too?
    Hope your having a good day.
    Love,

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bad memory must be my personal coping mechanism because I'm sure I would have never forgotten that! Actually, thinking about it, touching a mouse skeleton probably brought me to a new place in my mind, some quiet secret go there when I can't deal with the moment, place.

    Mindee is a friend from college. She is a blogger too. She doesn't get your comments, I'm sure. You just accidently subscribed to her comments on my blog. Atleast you read my blog now! And yes, she is nice :-)

    ReplyDelete