Thursday, October 15, 2009

Thrifty treasures

I've always been a frugal shopper and have been shopping at thrift stores since college. In high school I had a friend who bragged about how much her stuff cost and I would brag out how cheaply I got mine.

I love finding great quality name brand items for dirt cheap. Its like a treasure hunt. With a large family, this is more of a necessity than a game. One thing I have learned is buy for quality, not just for price. You don't want a bunch of cheaply made stuff all over your house.

In our little town of Alma, we have a nice little thrift store called the Caring Cupboard. I like to go in there at least once a month to see what great finds I can come by. A couple of weeks ago I found a like new Eddie Baurer jean trench coat for a friend for $1.50!

Today I did great. I got the mother load for $6.50.




 With winter bursting upon us we were in need of hats, scarves and warm socks.

Here's what I got:
  • 7 Magazines... October 2009 and a couple of summer ones
  • Teen devotional book, hopefully it will get read
  • Tae Bo tape.... always wanted to try it and now I can for 10 cents!
  • Nice zippered hoodie & shoes for daughter
  • Pair of jeans for son
  • 10 pairs of really nice heavy socks!
  • Long underwear & boxers (very well laundered, people!)
  • 5 cool scarves, and
  • 4 hats
Things like this make me feel successful. But remember "A bargain ain't a bargain unless it's something you need. " ~Sidney Carroll, A Big Hand for the Little Lady

I also like this one "We are not to judge thrift solely by the test of saving or spending. If one spends what he should prudently save, that certainly is to be deplored. But if one saves what he should prudently spend, that is not necessarily to be commended. A wise balance between the two is the desired end." ~Owen Young

1 comment:

  1. You really hit it. You're lucky to have one of those right in Alma.

    ReplyDelete